Starting the Blue Blazing tour at the southern terminus of the Buckeye Trail is a logical place to start. The trail passes outside my front door and the terminus is within jogging distance. However, it is also a lot like taking your first jump into a swimming pool from the high dive; skip dipping your toes in to test the water, just plunge into the deep end. On this journey I am exploring with eyes wide open, looking for points of interest and stories to share with you. Many of the places are new to me and others are in my own backyard, such as the Loveland Section. We will travel a lot of narrow country roads and pass through quiet towns. But not here, at the southern terminus located in the heart of Eden Park and Cincinnati. If there was ever a place that will tempt one to break trail (see rules of the road) this is such a place.
Within walking distance of this sign you will find Mirror Lake, Twin Lakes, a fabulous overlook of the Ohio River, Krohn Conservatory, Eden Park, The Cincinnati Art Museum, Playhouse in the Park, an outdoor amphitheater and Mount Adams for a dizzying array of eateries (a foodie’s dream destination). Oh, and we are a very short jaunt to downtown Cincinnati and all it has to offer. That’s all within a stone’s throw from the first point in this section. So, where to begin?
A Few Facts - the Loveland Section: Cincinnati’s Eden Park to Caesar Creek.
The Loveland Section is 45.9 miles and passes through such areas as: Hyde Park, Mariemont, Milford, Camp Denison, Loveland, Kings Mill, Morrow, Fort Ancient and at last ending near Caesar Creek. When I dreamt up this idea, I envisioned exploring in a day on foot and by car what my fiancé, Darryl, would hike in a day so that we would begin and end each day together. That would give me three days, Three!! days to see all I mentioned above and then some. Well, if I stuck to that plan I would be crazed tourist rushing around at a breakneck speed, and the Loveland Section and its architecture, river views, winding, hilly, narrow roads and charming small towns would be nothing but a blur.
One rule of travel, rules are meant to be broken.
The Buckeye Trail is our guide, our directional. Sometimes it will lead us to vast open areas of fields, quiet landscapes or large tracs of woods where all we are asked to do is sit, be still and enjoy the quiet. In other areas, we will be plunked in the heart of a large city and we may simply need more time to see what is to be seen.
I will break down each section of the Buckeye Trail into smaller bites, making it easier for you to decide what you would want to see when you decide to Blue Blaze Ohio on your own.
And we are off!
There’s nothing like a view like this to start a journey! One thing I already love about exploring my home state is seeing things with fresh eyes. Sometimes we have to be reminded how great the view is, (well at last I do) in our own backyard. After watching a barge pass before the overlook, I headed down the steps, following the Blue Blazes to the Twin Lakes. These Twin Lakes and Ohio River overlook draw a continuous crowd.
Turing left on the main road we make our way to Krohn Conservatory. (Come back tomorrow for a look at Krohn Conservatory!)
No comments:
Post a Comment