Wednesday, March 5, 2014

On the Road Again- Sinking Springs

My Blue Blazing Ohio drives are getting longer. There are more miles to cover to get to the starting point of a new section and soon the option to revisit a section on a whim will not be possible.  On the positive side I have more time to reflect on where I have been, research the history of the places I have visited and edit photos;  many, many photos.  Today we launch into the Sinking Springs section of the Buckeye Trail.

Heading out to explore a new section - Sinking Springs

The Sinking Springs section of the Buckeye Trail is 53.9 miles with 22 miles off road. The route, when traveling from west to east as I did, starts near Pike Lake State Park and ends just north of the Davis Memorial Nature Preserve. As with the West Union section, many of the roads I traveled where secondary and tertiary roads, not often traveled by those outside the area and rugged at times. The beauty of this part of the state is whether you travel as close to the Buckeye Trail as possible or opt for a more driver friendly route the drive is lovely. Take a look at a map, a printed map preferably, and you will see this section is firmly rooted in forested areas with rolling topography. The towns are small such as Sinking Springs and Peeples and the attractions are steeped in history. In addition to the aforementioned sites, Sinking Springs also takes us to Serpent Mound and Fort Hill.
 
At last on quieter roads- the best part of this great Ohio drive known as Blue Blazing Ohio
To get to my starting I point I drove west out U.S. Route 50 to the east side of Bainbridge the home of the Dr. John Harris Dental Museum, the “Cradle of Dentistry.”  I will admit, I have never stopped to visit the museum, I am always on my way to get someplace or finishing up a long day of hiking when I pass by. Should you have the time it may be worth a stop.

Dr. John Harris started a short lived school for those wishing to study preparatory classes for medical school with an emphasis on dental education. After three years Dr. Harris left the practice he established in Bainbridge and moved to Chillicothe in 1830. The students who stayed behind went on to establish the first two dental colleges in America. His home and the site of his classes continues on today as the dental museum.

Pike Lake State Park


It was quite a treat to start this new section of the Buckeye Trail in such a beautiful area, especially after a long drive to get the starting point. Pike Lake State Park is 587 acres of rolling hills, water and trails in southern Ohio. The small 13 acre lake is open to paddle boats and tiny engines only.  The lake more than makes up for its small size with a stunning setting nestled in the hills that were, the day I visited, showing signs of autumn color. Everything about this little park whispers, relax. A beach, park benches along the lake front, paddle boats and canoes, hiking trails and cabins and tent sites encourage weary travelers and those feeling the tensions of everyday life to take a moment, or better yet a few days, to unwind in this understated little park. 

Following the Blue Blazes down some way off the beaten path roads- I wouldn't have it any other way!


No comments:

Post a Comment