When I travel I like to eat. Who doesn't? But when I drive long stretches I eat light because I hate feeling lethargic and heavy when I still have miles yet to go. When I travel I also do my utmost to only eat at locally owned, non-chain establishments. It's one of the Rules of the Road. I refuse to look back on this adventure and be able to rate the quality of dishes served in chain restaurants; what a colossal waste of time and opportunity that would be. There is always the chance that the local eatery, sometimes the only eatery to be found, is a bit questionable. Fortunately no one can ruin a grilled cheese and cup of chicken noodle soup- at least no one has yet. William Least Heat-Moon has a theory that the more wall calendars a diner has hanging up the better the food. I haven’t seen a lot of wall calendars yet. I don’t think this is a commentary on the food but rather the declining use of wall calendars in general. It’s a shame for it seems he has a pretty surefire grading system figured out. So far my method of picking a place to eat is based on the number of cars parked outside. Lots of cars must mean good food- I hope!
Ever since reading the review of
Kate Christensen’s forthcoming book, Blue
Plate Special: An Autobiography of my Appetites in Bookforum magazine I
have been a little obsessed with eggs over easy- another safe bet on any menu. Kate prefers her eggs soft boiled. I prefer mine over easy. She reminds me why this pedestrian dish of the most basic ingredients is
so gratifying. She writes, “Nothing is better for breakfast on a raw early
morning that two eggs boiled for six or seven minutes, cut in half and spooned
into a bowl and mixed with one piece of butter toast torn into pieces. The runny
yoke soaks into the bread, the just-firm white is easy on the still-sleeping stomach,
and the cozy, childlike pleasure of lapping the warm, buttery concoction from a
bowl eases you into the day.”
The other day, when I should have
been writing, I was out driving new roads. I have much to research and write
already but the weather was perfect and I may be starting a part-time job soon so
all I could think was, I cannot let this
day go by without a drive. So I headed to the northern most point of the St. Marys Section of the Buckeye Trail. The trip started with a long trek up I-75
to get to my jumping off point. During the drive I spent a lot of time thinking
about eggs over easy, buttery toast and if I would get lucky and find a place that
served breakfast all day.
Breaking trail I drove around Grand
Lake St Mary stopping from time-to-time to get a better view of the lake and boats. It surprised
me how lonely the drive was. I had anticipated lots of boats out on the lake, kayakers, kids swimming at the beaches, gulls begging for food and fisherman dotting the docks and jetties. There were plenty of gulls
and geese, but that was it. The lake was vacant with the exception of one lone
sail boat. I enjoy traveling on my own but this was too solitary. There was something
a bit unsettling being the only one about the lake on such a perfect day. I
needed some comfort food, I needed eggs over easy.
As luck would have it the Pullman
Bay Restaurant in Celina was open, had a full lot and it was obviously the restaurant
of choice of the locals.
“May I still get breakfast?”
“Of course hun, whad'ya have?”
This was one of the few times I didn't mind being called hun by a girl half my age because she was getting me eggs over easy with toast.
With the local newspaper unfolded
before me, a view of the lake and the chatter of gray-haired ladies quietly filling
the room, I let the warm, buttery goodness of my eggs and toast sooth me and
bring me back to center. You can never feel this relaxed, this content in a
chain restaurant. Never.
| The view from the Pullman Bay Restaurant |
Jennifer, good writing here my friend. You have shared a simple moment in your day in such a way that I could smell the eggs and toast.
ReplyDeletePlus your commitment to only eat at local places warms my heart. What GREAT memories of life on the road.
Again thanks for sharing with us your travels.
Thank you! I always eat at local places when i travel- it is more fun and I think we get a better feel for the area when you skip the chain restaurants. Happy travels!
DeleteJenny, you were close to my home town, Van Wert, 20 miles north of Celina. We have the famous Balyeats, that serves the most wonderful home cooked food , with home town atmosphere. Dale,81 still yells at the girls to keep them moving.Dale is a past National President of The Gardeners of America. Dale doesn't even have a garden, and he and wife Marcia are horticulture judges.Wonderful couple.If your travels ever lead you this direction again, I would love to show you my home town. Lots of writing material. Louise
ReplyDelete