Thursday, August 8, 2013

Lessons Learned while Blue Blazing Ohio

I reached a milestone today in publishing the last post for the Loveland Section of the Buckeye Trail. There was a lot to cover and it took me a while to drive, research and photograph the section and get all the posts written. I still think some of my blog posts are a bit long, even after breaking the section down to smaller pieces.


As I was working on the Loveland Section I was also traveling other sections of the Buckeye Trail. The next sections that are close to my home are safe in that if I start to wonder, what did I see? did I like that route? do I have enough photos? I can always jump back in my car and drive the section again. Those days are almost over. Soon it will take me a while just to get to the starting point of a new section and revisiting a route twice or three times will not be an option.

Luckily my recent ‘test drives’ of the next sections of the trail have taught me a few valuable lessons.
1- Take more pictures than I think I will ever need or want.
2- Use a voice recorder to document the road and my thoughts as I drive. It is scary how quickly I forget what a stretch of road was like by the time I get home.  (must take ginkgo!)
3- Research my trips, the history of towns and such before I head out so I am certain to get the best photos possible.
4- And finally, talk to more people. I believe adding a few stories told by the people who live in the areas we are visiting will be interesting and add a new layer to the blog and what I hope will become a great book.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, I really love your blog! I came across it a few weeks ago and it's a fun read. I'm grew up in Hyde Park but I'm currently in school in DC. I've definitely developed a strong love for Cincinnati/Ohio in general after moving away to a big city (can't say I loved it while in high school!) so the Buckeye Trail is something I want to add to my bucket list!
    Thanks for sharing your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I grew up in Hyde Park/Mount Lookout and then lived in WIS for many years. When I came back to Ohio, I started rediscovering the state and it has been a blast. I am so glad you are enjoying this blog. I may be cheating by driving the trail but you can hike it! Both ways of Blue Blazing Ohio have their perks/up-side so you can't go wrong. Good luck with school.
      Cheers,
      Jenny

      Delete