Monday, October 12, 2015

Building Travel Funds



       
Traveling is easy– funding travel not so much. Even if you do short trips like I do, there are still hotel rooms, gas, food and maybe a souvenir (I have a weakness for pottery).   I often see these cute travel jars on Pinterest. Simply toss in your spare change at the end of the week and you'll have yourself a little nest egg for traveling.

One problem- I never have cash so I never have spare change and leftover bills. I could start a separate fund at the bank for travel, but I love the idea of the travel jar tucked in with my travel books, and seeing my Sunday Drive money accumulate.

My Sunday Drive fund is a coffee away. 

I have gotten into a bad habit of buying coffee and sometimes a snack and a paper on the way to work. I truly love popping into the coffee shop. But since I use my card, I was never forced to see and feel what I was spending–until today. I bought a small coffee, slice of bread and paper. Harmless enough until you take that cost, maybe 3 times a week, and add that up for a month. Add in trips to the vending machines for soda and grossly overpriced chips (oh, that weakness for salt is so hard to resist!) it adds up.  I have gained weight (I know, not a normal statement in a travel blog) so I need to get a grip on the fattening snacks and save some coin.
Soooooo

Each week I will take out $25 and whatever I have leftover, goes to the Travel Jar! Now I will see myself giving away my travel gas, lunch and lodging funds each time I want a coffee I can make at home or a paper I can read online. 

Are coffees and newspapers bad? Of course not!! But, I would rather have a way to spend two days driving than coffee from a chain….  Sounds like a good way to cut out some unhealthy habits and raise a little Sunday Drive funds.

How much could you save for traveling a week, a month, or a year. I think you will be surprised! 

PS Found this picture on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment